Navajo Nation lifts stay-at-home order

WINDOW ROCK, Ariz. (AP) — The Navajo Nation has lifted its stay-at-home order but is encouraging residents to leave their homes only for emergencies or essential activities.  

The stay-at-home order was rescinded Sunday, when 24 additional coronavirus cases and zero deaths were reported. The numbers are a vast change from earlier this year when the tribe had one of the highest per-capita rates of infection in the U.S.

The tribe’s executive branch released its reopening plan last week. While some tourist destinations partially overseen by the federal government reopened Monday, tribal officials discouraged visitors from off the reservation.

The National Park Service said it is working within the tribe’s guidelines but could not police who visits Canyon de Chelly National Monument in Chinle, Navajo National Monument near Shonto and Hubbell Trading Post National Historic Site in Ganado. Limited services such as restrooms, self-guided trails and overlooks were open.

Tribal parks such as Monument Valley and the Four Corners Monument were not open, Navajo President Jonathan Nez said Monday. Representatives for Nez didn’t respond to requests for further comment.

Much of the Navajo Nation has been closed since March as the coronavirus swept through the reservation that extends into New Mexico, Utah and Arizona.

Read more